Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Drew's Process of Visualizing "Framing"

The concept I chose to visualize in 3D is framing.  To summarize, framing is the process of creating abstract “frames” to define or understand the context of a discussion or message.  We create these “frames” by emphasizing the most important or relevant aspects of a scenario and by cropping out the inferior aspects. I chose this particular concept because I felt that this concept would be easy to transition over to a 3D model, however I found out that it was a bit more difficult than I originally thought.

Image 1
While creating my rough draft sketches, I had a clear idea of what I wanted the model to look like. I wanted a cube like structure and in the middle would be a focal point object.  Each side of the cube would then represent a different individual’s “frame”, with the central object representing the scenario or conversation.  The viewer could then move around or turn the cube to see all the different “frames” and what they showed of the object.(see image 1)
Image 2
 I then took this sketch and attempted to create a 3D model with an online Lego building simulator (buildwithchrome.com). Creating the 3D model was an absolute nightmare. First, creating the hollow cube was a tedious and long process. Each “frame” had to be built by creating a wall of Legos, and then removing individual pieces until I had my "frame". After creating my cube I then attempted to build the central object. I went through a multitude of different objects, and had found myself constantly running out of blocks. I finally settled on a heart with the letters L-O-V-E built facing different frames of my cube (see image 2).
I chose this because it didn’t require very many blocks, but also added a sense of continuity between each "frame". My thought process was that the individual could see that each "frame" only showcased a specific aspect of the central object.           
This project was deceivingly difficult, but it was great learning experience. I learned that in creating models you must be prepared to adapt to any technological limitations you may face.

 You can view my final model at 835 SW Polk street Topeka KS, 66612 on buildwithchrome.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment