Monday, February 10, 2014

Marcella's Process of Visualizing "The Public Sphere"

My process of visualizing The Public Sphere as Historical Narrative by Peter Dahlgren began when we used Tinker Toys to build a 3D visualization of a communication model. The reason I chose Dahlgren’s model of communication is because the idea of public and private spheres of communication really resonate with me. I like the idea that there are different spheres of communication, public and private and that you can be part of more than one sphere, public and private.

While working on this project, I started with a 2D sketched idea on plain paper (see picture). I then took this idea to www.buildwithchrome.com. I struggled a little bit with this part of my project because my model is supposed to be spherical, and legos do not necessarily lend themselves to circular shapes. I actually created a couple of different lego models because the first one did not seem just right. The second build is not exactly what I was aiming for either, but I think it got closer to reaching the goal.

With my lego built model, I used color and space to portray the communication model. In the second build that I created I decided to just make squares instead of trying to make a spherical shape. In both the first and second build that I created you can see where the “spheres” overlap the colors blend. I used primary colors for the main spheres and secondary colors to show that they combine where they overlap. That means a person’s private sphere can overlap into the public sphere, a smaller public sphere can overlap with a larger public sphere, and then in the corner of the build you see there is a secluded “sphere”. The secluded “sphere” is a completely private sphere. A person who is not in the public sphere at all would have a private sphere like that. That could also represent part of a person’s life that they keep only to themselves.

If you would like to see my builds check out 612 Southwest Tyler Street, Topeka KS and 704 Southwest Tyler Street, Topeka KS on www.buildwithchrome.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment