Saturday, March 29, 2014

Drew Waechter's First Comprehensive 3D Assignment


Over the past few weeks, my group members and I have been working on our first set Comprehensive 3D projects. We were tasked with creating two types of classroom aids that could be used to help explain a communication studies concept. These were an animated video and a set of 3D printed objects, and both were created using only the various 3D technologies we had available. I hope that by sharing my experiences in this project that I can demonstrate the potential of this technology in education.

Before I could start creating my various learning aids, I had to find a communication concept to visualize. To find my concept, I used an online database provided by the Society for Conceptual Logistics in Communication Research (SCLCR). It took me awhile, but I finally chose to visualize Zizi Papacharissi’s concept of “The Networked Self”. I chose this concept because I felt that it would be a fun challenge to try to convert something fairly abstract into 3D. I then spent a few days to research and make sure that I fully understood the concept. Once I felt confident enough, I then started designing my learning aids.





After finding my concept, I was then able to start creating my video. To prepare for my video, I spent a fair amount of time sketching out a blueprint of my model and a creating a storyboard for my animation. Creating this blueprint was

absolutely vital as it allowed me to thoroughly plan out my model and animation in advanced. Having this strong foundation was quite useful and it helped me to get the most out of the time that I spent in Leonar3Do. The model creating experience was quite fun and was probably my favorite part of the whole process. I enjoyed building my scene and adding the little bits and pieces together to create my vision.


After creating my model with Leonar3Do, I then used the animation features in the LeoWorld software to bring the concept to life. Honestly, I would have to say that animating was the most difficult and time-consuming part of this entire experience. In my first animation attempt, I developed a bad habit of nitpicking and over adjusting each frame of my animation. I made so many adjustments, that by the time I completed my animation it didn’t even remotely resemble my original storyboard. After seeing how confusing and jarring the animation was, I then decided to scrap the whole
thing and start fresh. My second attempt in animating was a much more successful. I forced myself to strictly follow the storyboard I had created. This not only kept me calm and focused, but it prevented me from wasting precious time. I then allowed myself a day away from the computer and returned the following day to edit with a fresh mind. This greatly increased my productivity and within a few hours I was able to finally finish my animation. With my animation complete, I then added narration and edited the footage in video editing software to create an educational video of my concept.

The second half of this project was to create tangible objects from my scene that I felt would be useful in a classroom setting. These objects would need to be able to be shared with the general public and easily printable with a 3D printer. The objects I chose were my humanoid token and a speech bubble. My idea was that students would be able to use these object to create and map out their own networked selves in a classroom. This would allow students a chance to visualize the concept and give them opportunity to apply what they’ve learned.


I also chose these two objects because I felt that they could be used to help visualize other communication concepts. I think it would be interesting to create a set of universal objects in which an instructor could pull out at any time. That way they could have a kit of sorts to demonstrate various communication concepts and theories. With that in mind, I created my objects to be simple enough that anyone could take them and customize them for their own use.

After completing this project, I feel that 3D technology is a powerful tool in the classroom. Whether it is creating a 3D video or model or using tangible 3D objects, I feel that 3D provides rich a learning experience for students. From my own personal experience with this project, I feel that I’ve been challenged to think and perform in a way that feels far more rewarding than simply listening to a lecture. I feel like I’ve been given the opportunity to use my creativity and critical thinking skills to fully immerse myself into a communication studies concept.
 I’m excited to see how this technology will change  education in the years to come.

 If you would like to use any of the objects created in this project feel free to click here for all of the items our group has created so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment